Thursday, March 1, 2018

Update


The last year has been a struggle for Kay.  After it became clear that her ovarian cancer had recurred Kay started to fight back with one treatment option after another.  Initially there was some promise, but every choice seemed to either not work at all, or work only very transiently.  The only thing that seemed to work was Taxol plus Avastin, but after a short time this led to a bowel perforation complication.  
Kay survived this in September with two hospitalizations, a drainage procedure and prolonged antibiotics. Kay was just starting to get a little better when she developed a partial malignant small bowel obstruction at Thanksgiving.  With this anytime Kay tries to eat she gets painful cramping and bloating.  This was initially only when she tried to eat larger meals, but has progressed now to where any food leads to hours of severe pain and eventually to vomiting up all she ate and more.
This bowel obstruction has been devastating, and has kept Kay from eating enough to maintain her weight and strength. 
Since Thanksgiving she has tried two more types of chemotherapy, neither of which seem to have even slowed the rapid progression of her cancer.  During that time she has lost a great deal of weight, has become very weak, and has had progressive pain when she tries to eat even minimal amounts of food.
We have prayerfully and thoughtfully considered options like TPN (total parenteral nutrition also called IV feedings) but Kay has chosen not to prolong her dying by this means.  Today we met with the Hospice intake nurse and signed up for home Hospice services.  Our hope is that the Hospice team will help us navigate the coming days.  Although Kay is having pain, her pain medication regimen is working pretty well at this point, and we are getting additional options set up with the help of the Hospice team.
Kay and I want to send our love, thanks and prayers back at all of you who have given us so much of these types of support over the last 9 years of fighting cancer.  Please focus your prayers and hopes on peace as the end approaches, relief from pain and other aspects of suffering, and comfort. Kay is being her usual self in wanting to hurry up and get on with dying, and we pray that all of you will respect and support her in this choice. 
As we see how this goes I’ll try to keep this site current.  We love you all.

Kay & Ed

15 comments:

Rabanker said...

Our prayers for peace for Kay and family.

Rhoda and Frank

Unknown said...

Our thoughts are with you, Ed and Kay.

Unknown said...

I admire your courage thoughout this battle and wish and pray for peace for you both.

Unknown said...

Our prayers for comfort and peace are with Kay. We will also pray for strength for you and the family. Our Love, thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Debbie and Randy said...

Debbie and I continue to pray for Kay’s peace and comfort. We also pray for peace, patience, and grace during this challenging time. We are so thankful for the lessons that Kay has taught us and those we are still trying to learn by her great example. Prayers of blessing and peace to you all, Debbie and Randy

Miss Morgan said...

As always, lots of prayers and love from Maine.

sallgood said...

Dave and I send love, friendship, and peace to you. We cherish memories of happy times. <3

Unknown said...

Sending prayers for comfort and peace. Many others from “home” also send their love and prayers too. See you soon!

Unknown said...

I love you cousin Kay,my prayers for peace and comfort are with you and the family

Traci McWain said...

Kay and Ed, my deepest love, prayers and peaceful comfort to you both during this difficult time. I love you Kay and will miss you greatly.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

EAxtell said...

Love and peace to you both. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Dear Lord! Please grant your peace and comfort to this family. Surround this family, our dear Kay and Ed, and Brett and Jean, with your love. Your promise says we will all be together again, whole and without pain!

To Christ be the Glory, Amen.

Tcole said...

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Kay was always a kind, strong and beautiful women. I loved the short amount of time I was able to spend with her. Trish

Jan Dean said...

My dearest cousin Kay, although we have rarely spent time together You have always inspired me. My fun thoughts of you in NY city about 30 years ago and some of our family reunions will be cherished. What truly comes to mind is us talking for 2 hours on the phone a couple of years ago trying to plan a family reunion! That just never happened. We have not seen each other in years and yet speaking to you on the phone that day felt like we were best of friends just catching up on the past. I always felt a closeness to you and all your family. When we were in Seattle leaving for a cruise and I phoned, you had just started a new treatment for your cancer and you weren't feeling well so trying to get together just wasn't going to happen on such short notice. Again we spoke for nearly an hour just catching up! As your wonderful usual self though, you offered up Jean , LOL.....I called her and she was most gracious to join me and my husband for dinner. I couldn't have asked for a better replacement because Jean is truly you in spirit and love. I enjoyed her so much and her enthusiasm and adventure for life reminded me again of you.
Even though we could not get a family reunion to happen I will always remember you. I am so fortunate to have had you as my wonderful cousin. You are so brave, brilliant, and beautiful. May God love you and hold you tenderly as you peacefully go home. Until we meet again......lovingly, Jan